• White LinkedIn Icon
  • White Twitter Icon
  • White Facebook Icon

Potion Brewer

1280px-Get_it_on_Google_play.svg.png

My Role

Summary of Responsibilities

​​

  • Utilized Agile/SCRUM style of development to guide team and ensure task/feature completion

  • Ran daily stand ups and planned two week sprints

  • Created VFX in various areas of the game

  • Designed and Tuned gameplay systems and mechanics

  • Designed an intuitive crafting combination system

  • Balanced the economy of potion prices

  • Created two mini-games to increase player engagement in the crafting process while keeping mobile constraints in mind

  • Guided art direction and style for the game

  • Constructed and Edited the trailer for the game

Game Designer/Project Manager
Potion Brewer is a game that we finished in 6 months with a team of 3 people and published to the Google Play Store.

 

As a Game Designer and Project Manager for Potion Brewer, I was a very flexible role on the team. We had one 2D artist and a programmer, so I tried to fill the gaps wherever possible and I wore many hats. However, throughout the process, I still played the main role of Game Designer in creating feature documentation, designing mini-games, implementing the combinations of the game, balancing the economy of the game, etc. 

 

Gameplay Design

Designing Mini Games that Increased Player Engagement
  • Create mini-games that make players feel more engaged in the crafting process!

  • Make the mini-games short and relatively easy so they didn't become tedious

  • Each mini-game was specific to the mixing method that the player picked, to make the player feel more ingrained in the world

  • Each mini-game must successfully be completed to create a potion

  • Had to keep in mind the mobile constraints, but also it’s advantages

    • Use touch controls to make mini-games more engaging through actions like tracing, stirring and shaking

 

Stirring Mini Game

In the stirring mini-game, the player was required to stir the ingredients together while trying not to over or under stir.

 

One of the main challenges here was identifying to the player when they were over stirring and under stirring but also making sure they knew what the correct stirring rate was

 

To do this I had our 2D artist create three visuals that would indicate over stirring, under stirring, and the correct stir state


 

After playtesting and player feedback I then decided that it would also be good to add a bar that indicated to the player if they were stirring it correctly.

 

The last thing that we added to make it clear to the player that they were completing the mini-game correctly was added too fast/too slow indicators over the stirring section so they could adjust accordingly.

Enchanting Mini Game

The enchanting mini-game required the player to trace runes to successfully create a potion.

To make this clear to the player I decided to add nodes to the runes that would change from red to green if you were tracing the rune correctly.

 

We then added the number of runes the player needed to complete so they knew how many they would need to trace.

 

Different runes would appear randomly with a total of about 27 different runes that the game would choose from.

 

This was a huge help in making this mini-game fun to the player because the runes were always random, it allowed the player to feel like the game was fresh each time they played.